# 🚀 Upgrading
This section outlines the upgrade process required to install V4 from Chevereto V3.20 (previous major release).
💡 Review Chevereto V4 vs V3 comparison tables for a better understanding of changes in V4.
- Existing installation running Chevereto V3.20
- Backup for the existing previous installation (told you)
# Test install
It is recommended to check that a new V4 installation can install and run in the target machine. This is a good way for detecting conflicting server requirements as you don't want to handle server issues in the middle of a migration.
👏 Don't worry about license-domain restrictions as this is just a test install.
- Create a new website
- Install Chevereto V4
If everything goes well you can delete this test installation, or use it as your new V4 application by:
- Wiring the database by configuring (opens new window) the database variables (opens new window)
- Mounting the storage for images (opens new window) and assets
# Upgrade to V4
Upgrade to V4 is performed by providing the software files on top of the existing Chevereto V3 installation. It is the same process for updating within revisions.
- Provide the Chevereto V4 application files on top of V3 installation
- Go to
/install, provide the database connection information
- Follow the on-screen process